What to do in an Electrical Emergency

Electricity short circuit

We aren’t sure how we’ll react to emergencies until we’re put under pressure. When it comes to electrical emergencies, it’s important to know the ways to keep yourself, your family or your employees safe. Read this article to learn about the best way to handle electrical emergencies and what to do while you wait for your electrician.

What Is Considered an Electrical Emergency?

Our domestic electricians deal with emergencies on a daily basis. Firstly, it’s important to understand what counts as an electrical emergency. Unfortunately, simple matters of convenience such as a power outage or flickering TV don’t count as emergencies. An emergency is when you have a situation that is dangerous to your life, including but not limited to:

  • Burning wires
  • Smoke coming from a wire or a device
  • Your electrical panel is overheating
  • Flickering lights in your breaker panel
  • Fallen power lines
  • An electrical fire

If you’re dealing with fallen power lines, smoke or fire, call the fire brigade immediately and then get in touch with your 24hr electrician in Perth so they can fix the problem as soon as possible.

Dealing with Electrical Shocks

There are a number of things that can cause serious electrical shocks such as faulty appliances, damaged cords (throw these away if they cause shocks), faulty wiring, fallen power lines and wiring being exposed to water. Never touch a person who has been shocked or the faulty wiring/power line as you could be injured as well.

Unplug the appliance that caused the shock and turn off your power to avoid further damage to your home’s electrical systems. Call emergency services and your local emergency electrician in Perth. Keep the injured person still, warm and lying down until the ambulance arrives.

Putting Out Electrical Fires

Electrical fires are often caused by flammable objects being left near exposed lightbulbs and unprotected, overloaded wiring in homes and businesses. There are simple steps that you can take after you have called emergency services. You should keep a fire extinguisher on hand for occasions like this. 

Never use water on an electrical fire because water conducts electricity and it will shock you. Switch off and unplug the appliance that has caused the fire, and smother it in a blanket or use your extinguisher. Make sure you call your electrician so they can assess and repair the damage to your electrical wiring.

Your Emergency Electrician in Perth

Store the phone number for Dr Sparky Electrical in your phone today so you can save time in emergency situations. At any time of the day or night, call our experienced electrical contractors and leave the problem to the professionals. You can call 1800 377 727 or contact us online for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *